Photos taken November 2008
A short straight road of mostly terraced townhouses, with one block of houses set back from the road and adorned with an attractive lantern on the roof (above), Albany Road is in the lower part of Tivoli. It joins up with St. Stephen’s Road at one end and Dagmar Road at the other. The houses were built from the early 1880s onward and the photo below shows the front of Albany Villa, which is fairly typical of the houses in this street.
A group of eight houses called Park View were initially built, and for a time the name got applied to the whole street. It was also known as Albany Street in its early years, before finally settling on Albany Road. It would appear to be named after Leopold, Duke of Albany, who acquired that title in 1881 just as this street was being planned.